9.11.10

Oiling all the way down .... to your tummy

Gosh, you know, if you google bout cooking oil, there is no "agreed upon" statements.. something which is very frustrating indeed for us who does our research before we buy what we put into our mouth.. I was holding onto my phone with "Opera Mini" on with numerous tabs on "cooking oils" such as Canola Oil, Sunflower seed oil, corn oil... etc. and the attendant was watching with the eye of an eagle probably suspecting me as a shoplifter who's pretending to hover around till no one's around. Come on, I didn't have a bag with me that time.. don't think i can stuff any cooking oil bottle into my pants and tell em I have a huge package.... ish....

anyways, there is no such thing as a safe cooking oil as most of the oil would release a certain waste which is harmful to our body under high heat. So lesson learnt. Be it Olive Oil, Peanut oil, sunflower seed oil, safflower seed oil, corn, almond... etc.... Never cook it under Extreme high heat so that means no frying at all.

Something funny though, which reading on articles regarding Canola Oil, some researcher actually mentioned that canola oil is not actually as healthy as it's claimed... but on other logs, its rated 2nd to olive oil. so who is telling the truth? well, I bought a very crystal clear sunflower seed oil which is high in mono and poly fats and very low in saturated fats. Sunflower seed oil is one of the all time favourite oil because it contains high omega 6 and even vitamin e. The ratio of Omega 3 & 6 in the oil is at 1:2. and according to all those logs, omega 3 is not very suitable for cooking under high heat because under those conditions, omega 3 would be damaged and in turn become toxic which is cancer causing. So be careful. I may look like an idiot reading numerous article in front of the item on my phone. but I'm going to benefit from it and no one else once i consume it... so who cares what others think..

another thing which is still in doubt is the log saying Butter is healthy... well at least healthier than Margarine which contains lots of unsaturated fats. But all these while, I've always considered Butter to be a tummy killer due to the amount of fats content... unless i can find a fat free or reduced fat butter... it's not on my list.

So practice moderations as fats will always be fats no matter how healthy it is according to the charts... play it safe...

No comments:

Post a Comment