20.8.10

The Walk all down and ONline

The Walk from Cheng Tzuu Bong on Vimeo.

After a couple's day work.. well, not too long.. all n all, from pre to post production, i figure not more than 5 days.

With the 1st day (The Awakening) Finally realize if I keep on writing pieces which requires a lot of crew and cast, i'm just giving myself the opportunity to procrastinate. Why wait and dream when you can create. So I sat, stand, walk and took a nap on it and finally came up with a draft. I started writing.... and calls it the walk... y the walk you may say, why named it the walk...well, it talks bout the spiritual walk of humans nowadays who are constantly caught in a dilemma of making a choice to either submit to temptations or to act logically ethical. I like writing piece like these and most of the time making it more of an art film like short films. It may not make sense to many but its the few ppl who understands which makes it special. cause then i would knw who is watching with the eyes and who is really feeling it :P

The walk talks about making the right choices, walking the right path. Tells us that even if it's the very last minute or it may cost us something of value, making the right choice can make a difference and cause a great impact to the outcome in the future.

Anyways, I had the pictures imprinted in my mind how i want to shoot it. and renting a budget motel is all i can afford since i've not been working for the past 1/2 year since i left Kuala Lumpur. But i've no idea of how the layout of the motels gonna look like since i can't just budge in and tell them that im going to shoot a short film in one of their rooms. they are going to charge me extra for that... lol.. so I have to cross my fingers and yellow pages..

2nd day I went out to find the gels / filters... seems like a big disappointment cause non of the stationary / art / graphic shops sells it and they asked me to get it off from the glass tinting shops.. lol.. nope, they don't have it either.. so i went to buy colored transparent book covers which school kids use for their project covers.. (Proves to be too thick) lol.. anyways, I went all over town and found myself an inspection lamp and got some light bulbs. that settles the lighting.. I borrowed my brother's tripod. I went home after that and started sketching the storyboard.. just in case

3rd day I got a piece of large display board as my reflector. and finish off the storyboard...

The shooting starts on the 4th day.. Initially i planned to check in 12 sharp but cause i had to rely on my brother to fetch me over since i don't want to leave my car there. anyways, after waiting and stuff, he finally came and dropped me off around 1 something.. I started shooting even before I dropped off my stuff along the hallway. But only realized that I was standing underneath a CCVT the whole time which shooting. hahaha... anyways, I wrapped the hallway so what is left is the room scenes.

The room is a bit smaller than i expected and the interior is well, not the friendliest u can get. But I managed to get it all done. Initially it was a bit hard since I have to handle all the equipments all by myself while trying not to keep in character whenever i call for action myself. I've to watch out for unwanted things not to be in the scene *I F*** up a little.. hahaha... there were a couple of scenes where I've didn't spot properly. oh well, learned a valuable lesson :) anyways, I've to climb up and down to get the "Bird's eye view" take my own reflector to adjust the reflecting light source, have to press the focus (lucky my sony dcr - sx40 has a auto spot focus so all i have to do is press where i want it to focus and run to the last position for it to focus on) hahaha... so there were a lot of cardio involved.

I think the hardest part was trying to get the lighting cause I only found out then that 1 inspection lamp is not enough to get the lighting done... lol.. but i tried and give it my best shot with the ... emm.. so called filter... lol... I finished shooting everything around 2am but i had a good 1hr rest to recharge the battery. I downloaded the footage and started editing while waiting for it to fully charged. I wrapped the day at 3am.

woke up early on the 5th day and took my breakfast.. well, don't guess 4 slices of rye bread with peanut butter. I continued on the editing and covers whatever which was not shot like some close up scenes to get it sync. I recorded the footsteps again with my boom mic cause the original was a bit noisy since the motel was still under renovation. I was picked up by my brother around 12noon. and continued to finish off the editing till 8pm.... 5 days hardwork paid off and here I present to you, the 1 man crew / cast production... the walk

2 comments:

  1. I started watching this and I was hooked. I needed to watch it all, haha.
    I love how you've done this, it's so professional even though its only a one man crew and cast, haha.
    Please post more amazing work like this! :)

    -Chloe
    http://naivepurple.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Chloe :) appreciates. will post more but rite now iv to concentrate on getting a job so i can finance my shoots. I've 2 personal projects coming up which i intend to shoot in Kuching and 2 educational awareness project script which i've completed and in wait for capital to shoot.

    ReplyDelete